San Francisco ban highlights facial recognition fears

first_img All but one of the nine members of San Francisco’s board of supervisors endorsed the legislation Tuesday, which will be voted on again next week in a procedural step.Facial recognition technology uses a scan of a person’s face to create an algorithm that is compared against a database. It can be used to unlock a smartphone or vehicle, pay in retail stores, verify identities at bank machines or develop customized fashion or beauty recommendations.But its use in law enforcement has created the greatest outcry among rights activists because of the potential for errors and mismatches, and because the technology relies on vast databases that may have little or no oversight.’We’re not helpless’Adding to those concerns has been the deployment in China of a vast surveillance system that can track criminals but also dissidents, and which has been used to track the movements of the Uighur Muslim minority, according to some reports.The move in San Francisco “is a reminder we’re not helpless in the face of technology,” said Jay Stanley, a policy analyst with the American Civil Liberties Union. Explore further Visitors walk past a security robot named APV3 with a facial recognition system at the 14th China International Exhibition on Public Safety and Security in 2018 This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. China’s wide deployment of facial recognition for law enforcement and surveillance has highlighted concerns in the United States about an “Orwellian” state Airline gate agents sign into facial recognition verification system VeriScan at Dulles International Airport Facial recognition for law enforcement is being banned in San Francisco, igniting fresh debate on the privacy and civil liberties concerns about the technology US customs authorities are also reported to be studying the technology to help identify illegal immigrants.Microsoft has joined critics of facial recognition deployment by government agencies. Its president Brad Smith said last year it was urgent to begin placing limits on facial recognition to avoid the surveillance state described in George Orwell’s “1984.”Safer and fasterSupporters of the technology argue that facial recognition systems can help police fight crime and keep streets safer.Daniel Castro of the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation, a think tank following technology issues, noted that authorities “can use facial recognition to efficiently and effectively identify suspects, find missing children or lost seniors, and secure access to government buildings” and save considerable expense compared with doing these tasks manually. Wide deployment © 2019 AFP Concerns about moving toward Chinese-style surveillance systems are unwarranted because the United States has strong constitutional protections, Castro said.”Ironically, a ban on facial recognition is a step backwards for privacy,” Castro said in a statement.”Rather than having individuals monitor surveillance cameras, facial recognition technology would use unmanned cameras… Focusing on technology bans misses opportunities to make communities safer and increase privacy.” Despite the ban in San Francisco—and legislation being considered in other municipalities—use of facial recognition is growing in cities in the US and elsewhere.A 2016 study by Georgetown University researchers found about 64 million Americans were in at least one database in “a virtual line-up” even if most had no criminal record, and that there was little knowledge of whether these systems were accurate or unfairly impacted minorities.The researchers found nearly 4,000 state and local law enforcement agencies, or 25 percent of the total, have the ability to run face recognition searches of their own system or that of another agency such as the FBI.Facial recognition is being deployed in airports around the United States, aiming to help speed boarding and arrivals and also monitoring for suspects and people who may have overstayed their visas. San Francisco bans facial recognition use by police and govt Visitors walk in a “Future Bar” concept store by Chinese giant Alibaba at an industry trade show showing how payments may be made using facial recognition at the fully automated store A ban on facial recognition for law enforcement in San Francisco highlights growing public concerns about technology which is seeing stunning growth for an array of applications while provoking worries over privacy. Citation: San Francisco ban highlights facial recognition fears (2019, May 15) retrieved 17 July 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2019-05-san-francisco-facial-recognition-fervor.html “Certainly you can’t stop technology development and research but that doesn’t mean we can’t stop the deployment of technology to protect our values.”While facial recognition may help catch criminals faster than traditional methods, civil liberties activists say the technology is not perfect, with high error rates for minorities found in some studies.”As things stand, it is inappropriate for government agencies to use face recognition technology because the dangers substantially outweigh the benefits,” said Evan Selinger, a professor at the Rochester Institute of Technology and fellow at the Future of Privacy Forum.Tiffany Li, a researcher at the Yale Law School’s Information Society Project, echoed those sentiments, arguing that more needs to be done to study the impact of facial recognition on civil liberties.”The tech is not accurate, fair, or safe enough yet. And our laws and policies don’t know how to safeguard us from the many abuses that can occur,” Li tweeted.last_img read more

They call him the next Sergio Busquets Pep has high hopes after

first_img“Ever since we arrived here we have tried to buy players who are 21, 22 or 23 years old,” he added.”[Rodri] is a Spain national team player and there they call him ‘the next Busquets’. I think he is a very good player.”Rodri played a single season with Atletico after moving from Villarreal in 2018, and missed just four of his team’s Liga fixtures as they grabbed second place behind Barcelona. Pep Guardiola suggested that comparisons between Rodri and Barcelona great Sergio Busquets may not be wide of the mark after the midfielder made an accomplished debut for Manchester City. Having moved from Atletico Madrid in a club-record €70 million (£63m/$79m) deal, 23-year-old Rodri made his first appearance in a City shirt in Wednesday’s Premier League Asia Trophy clash. The Premier League champions had little trouble in dispatching West Ham 4-1 in Nanjing, with Raheem Sterling netting twice off the bench following goals from David Silva and Lukas Nmecha in the first half. Watch Premier League beginning August 2019 | Soccer Live Streaming | DAZN CARodri looked comfortable in the middle of the pitch despite being tasked with marking the lively Michail Antonio, and after the game Guardiola shared his thoughts on his young compatriot.”He is a young, typical defensive midfielder who thinks very quickly. I hope he is here for a long time,” Pep explained to reporters.”Rodrigo is tall, which for a short side like ours is very good. He is great at set-pieces but we didn’t buy him for that.”The Spain international’s signing is part of a regeneration process going on behind the scenes at the Etihad Stadium focusing on the signing of future stars. Indeed, of the three new faces brought in so far this summer Zack Steffen, who was immediately released on loan to Fortuna Dussledorf following his arrival from Columbus Crew, is the eldest at 24. Pep hopes to continue that youth-oriented recruitment policy and also sees great things in his new midfield lynchpin. last_img read more

TN GuvDMK tussle reverberates in Raj BhavanTN GuvDMK tussle reverberates in Raj

first_imgDMK leader M.K. Stalin taking part in a black flag stir to condemn the arrest of party cadre for protesting against Governor Banwarilal Purohit. File Photo   –  The Hindu RELATED DMK condemns assembly’s imprisonment warning, vows TN’s autonomy June 25, 2018 COMMENT state politics SHARE Published on elections Tamil Nadu COMMENTS SHARE SHARE EMAIL The ongoing tussle between Tamil Nadu Governor, Banwarilal Purohit and the DMK today echoed in the assembly when the main opposition party wanted to raise the former’s district visits in the floor of the house with the chair denying permission to debate the matter.Speaker, C. Dhanapal’s denial of permission citing house rules prompted M. K Stalin led DMK and its allies, Congress and IUML, to stage a walkout of the house even as the Chair repeatedly insisted that he was only going by the rules.Earlier, the Leader of Opposition in the assembly wanted to raise Purohit’s frequent visits to districts, where the latter meets state government officials, but Dhanapal said the house rules forbid any discussion on the Governor. To this, Stalin said, in the past this particular rule had been relaxed for a debate on the governor. The Speaker responded that practice of relaxation of the particular rule was no more in vogue.Stalin claims to be taking up the issue in the interest of state’s autonomy and was talking for the ruling AIADMK too.With Stalin’s repeated attempts to raise the issue going futile and the chair remaining firm on not allowing a debate, the DMK leader announced a walkout from the house with his MLAs joining him. Later, Congress and IUML also trooped out of the house.While DMK has been steadfast in opposing the Governor’s district visits saying it amounted to ‘interfering’ in states’ autonomy, they have also been staging black flag protests against the same.The DMK had held a “siege Raj Bhavan,” stir here on June 23 demanding Purohit’s resignation and said the party would intensify the protest if he continued to hold review meetings with government officials in various districts.Taking exception to DMK’s continuing protests against Purohit’s district visits, the Raj Bhavan had issued an official release in which it cited a legal provision providing for seven years imprisonment to those ‘restraining’ the Governor from exercising any of the lawful powers.Condemning the Raj Bhavan statement, the DMK has asserted that it would continue to fight to protect Tamil Nadu’s autonomy.last_img read more

Nobody thought Congress leaders will get convicted Modi on 1984 Sikh massacre

first_img SHARE SHARE EMAIL Supreme Court gives clean chit to Modi govt in Rafale deal Published on AgustaWestland chopper deal case: Michel being extradited to India crime, law and justice SHARE He also took a dig at the Congress over recent SC ruling on allegations related to procurement of Rafale jets corruption & bribery COMMENTcenter_img national politics COMMENTS RELATED Highlighting the delay in justice for victims of 1984 anti-Sikh riots, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said nobody would have imagined that Congress leaders will get convicted in the case.Modi was speaking at the Republic Summit here.“Four years ago, nobody ever thought of Congress leaders getting convicted in the 1984 Sikh massacre and that people (victims) would get justice,” the PM said.Modi’s remarks came a day after senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar was convicted and sentenced to life term for “remainder of his natural life” in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case by the Delhi High Court which said the riots were a “crime against humanity” perpetrated by those who enjoyed “political patronage“.The high court said though it was “undeniable” that it took over three decades to punish the accused in the case, it was important to assure the victims that despite challenges faced by the court, “truth will prevail and justice will be done“.Rafale jet fighters procurementAt the Summit, Modi also took a dig at the Congress over the recent Supreme Court ruling on allegations related to procurement of Rafale jet fighters for the Indian Air Force.“For the first time it has happened that the country’s top court was approached over some allegations related to corruption. And they got a clear verdict which said whatever work has been done (in the Rafale deal), has been done with transparency and honesty,” Modi said.Nobody ever thought such thing could take place four years ago (when Congress was in power), Modi said.“We have a psychology wherein we believe more in corruption allegations against the government. Whether it is malpractice or corruption charges, the psychology has remained same,” Modi said.Helicopter scam“Nobody thought four years ago that one day, Christian Michel, key person in the (AgustaWestland) helicopter scam, would be in India. The dots are being connected,” he said. ‘Declare 1984 anti-Sikh riots as genocide’ December 18, 2018 Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivering the keynote address at the Republic Summit – Surging India, in Mumbai, on December 18, 2018.   –  PIBlast_img read more

Vasundhra Raje Shivraj Chouhan and Raman Singh now in Central BJPVasundhra Raje

first_imgVasundhara Raje, former Chief Minister of Rajasthan   –  File photo January 10, 2019 state politics COMMENT SHARE SHARE EMAIL BJP Published on politics party President Amit Shah announced their appointment The BJP on Thursday announced the decision to appoint three former CMs — Shivraj Singh Chouhan, Vasundhara Raje and Raman Singh — as General Secretaries, indicating they will not be Leaders of the Party in their respective States.The recently ousted chief ministers of Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh respectively, are being brought to Delhi to embellish the BJP’s star campaigner cast in the run-up to the general elections this year.Ahead of the BJP’s national council meeting in Delhi that begins on Friday, party President Amit Shah announced their appointment as general secretaries in the central party. The appointment will take effect immediately. The decision also means that the three former chief ministers will not be made Leaders of Opposition in their respective States and have to vacate their home turfs to serve as the party’s face in the Centre led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.BusinessLine, had on January 4, reported this change in the news item titled “BJP Fans Reports of Change of Guard in M.P., Rajasthan and Chhattisgarh”. The party had earlier appointed senior Union Ministers — Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley and Thawar Chand Gehlot — as central observers to the three States to negotiate and effect the change without much opposition. SHARE BJP fans reports of change of guard in MP, Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan RELATED COMMENTSlast_img read more

Expert favours datadriven approach to fisheries research

first_imgSHARE SHARE EMAIL India should embark on data-driven fisheries research rather than on a hypothesis-based approach, according to a fisheries scientist. In the meantime, there is also a need to update data at various levels to make best use of the data-driven research results in the intended field.Shivakumar M, Professor of Aquatic Biology in the Mangaluru-based College of Fisheries, expressed this view in an opinion paper on ‘Need for shift from hypothesis to data-driven approach in fisheries research’ in the journal of ‘Modern Concepts and Developments in Agronomy,’ published by the US-based Crimson Publishers.Shivakumar said that intricacies between parameters in a dynamic aquatic system are so complex, conclusions derived from sample surveys and hypothesis-based research may often go wrong.Referring to a case report, he said freshwater prawn farming is scanty in India. Carp fish products are not available in Indian market except stray quantity in the North-Eastern States. However, some research groups worked on value-chain in carps and prawn spending a few crores of rupees on research. The money could have been used on the right issues bothering the sector if they had access to production and consumption data on prawn and carp fish.Shivakumar said that developing and under-developed countries cannot afford to waste time and money on hypothesis when dealing with system-level research.Data approachStressing the need for the use of data-driven research, he said the advancement in information technology helps collect and process huge data. This enables better understanding of correlations between parameters, and results can be precisely predicted.He said the results of ‘Data Driven Approach in Research’ (DDAR) will play vital role in designing developmental programmes and policy-making. DDAR also attracts funding support from industries.Stating that the country is harnessing the technology and trying to build a strong data base, he said checks and measures needed to be taken at data collection point. All the available data has to be updated after verifying at the ground level.Data updateTo shift from hypothesis to data-driven approach, Shivakumar said, the country needs to update data such as demography; farmers’ information; fish catch; water bodies; species cover v/s area; production and productivity; consumption pattern against price, species, season and product; and shift in preferences, among others.Shivakumar told BusinessLine that the currently available data are not accurate. The data on tanks, ponds and reservoirs available with the departments are not revised for decades. COMMENT Published on COMMENTScenter_img February 15, 2019 SHARE fisherieslast_img read more

Kejriwal rakes up Delhi statehood issue at NITI Aayog meetingKejriwal rakes up

first_imgPublished on SHARE SHARE EMAIL Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday raked up the issue of full statehood to Delhi at the NITI Aayog meeting here and also sought the Centre’s cooperation in the AAP government’s project for natural storage of water in the Yamuna flood plains. “Delhi be given the status of full statehood, which has been promised since decades but denied by successive central governments,” the chief minister was quoted as saying in the meeting chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The ruling Aam Aadmi Party had made the full statehood issue its poll plank in the recent Lok Sabha election, saying it has been unable to carry out its schemes effectively in Delhi due to the Centre’s interference. “Delhi government wants Centre’s cooperation in its mega-project for natural storage of water in the Yamuna flood plains. Important studies, including from IIT Delhi, show that, in case this is done, water storage during a single monsoon will be sufficient to end water shortage in Delhi for two years,” the chief minister said. Kejriwal also lamented that Delhi was not getting its share in central taxes. “According to 14th Finance Commission, states get 42 per cent share in central taxes. whereas Delhi gets a paltry Rs 325 crore,” the chief minister said. NITI Aayog 0 June 15, 2019 COMMENTS Delhi SHARE COMMENT Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal   –  PTIlast_img read more

First prototype of BrahmosNG will be ready by 2024

first_imgOther Videos from India 26:36 Sat, 13 Jul, 2019 20 Years of Kargil: A ground report from Tololing in Drass 00:41 Sat, 13 Jul, 2019 Watch: Audi spotted performing stunt at Delhi’s Vijay Chowk 03:16 Sat, 13 Jul, 2019 Pakistan removes 5 Pro-Khalistani leaders from Kartarpur corridor panel 02:13 Sat, 13 Jul, 2019 Enter the Growler: S-400 missile ground report from Moscow 01:52 Sat, 13 Jul, 2019 UP law panel drafts stringent law for mob lynching, recommends life term 03:31 Fri, 12 Jul, 2019 Delhi: Farmers of Khera Khurd shift their tubewells due to depleting water levels 09:13 Fri, 12 Jul, 2019 BJP is using money power: Abhishek Manu Singhvi on Karnataka crisis 02:41 Fri, 12 Jul, 2019 Nataka in Karnataka: Rahul Gandhi breaks his silence, says BJP using money power to topple govts Load More Other Video CategoriesIndiaSportsWorldMoviesSo SorryTelevisionlast_img read more