For the second time this season, Rosario Harriott’s goal made the difference as Harbour View tagged eternal rivals Waterhouse 1-0 in their Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) game at Drewsland yesterday.In the first round, it was the former Portmore United defender’s 71st-minute goal that gave the Stars of the East their first win of the season, and yesterday, his 49th-minute strike gave the Ludlow Bernard-coached team their first win in four games and pushed them to sixth in the standings on 21 points.The defeat was Waterhouse’s first in five matches. They are at the bottom of the standings on 13 points.Harriott, a towering, overlapping full-back, was pleased to get the job done again against their arch-rivals.”I feel great knowing that I played Waterhouse two times (this season) and I scored against them both times. These three points are very crucial because we needed to get to the 20-points bracket. Now we have a match on Wednesday (against Tivoli), and we can try and get closer to the leaders,” he saidGREATSEASONThe player, who was recently called up to the national senior team, is enjoying one of his best seasons.”It has been a good season. I am working hard, and the players have confidence in me. I just have to continue to work hard, continue to assist and, if the goals do come, continue to try and make use of them,” he commented.Waterhouse had the better of the first 30 minutes, with the best chance falling to Jermaine ‘Tuffy’ Anderson on 18 minutes. Harbour View also had their moments and came close through Mark Miller and Ranique Muir.However, four minutes into the second half, Harriott put the visitors ahead when he bundled home John Ross Edwards’ corner after he was left unmarked.Bernard lamented his team’s poor overall finishing but welcomed the three points.”Our finishing could be a lot better, but these three points will certainly go a far way in our quest for the championship,” he said.Waterhouse’s Anthony Patrick also blamed the bad result on wasted opportunities by his team.Meanwhile, Portmore (31 points) remain on top of the league after beating UWI 3-0 on a brace from Javon East. Montego Bay United (29) stayed second after Owayne Gordon’s goal gave them a 1-0 win over Boys’ Town.Reno (22) stopped Tivoli (18) 1-0 at Edward Seaga Complex on Denmark Gilling’s 22nd-minute strike to stay fifth. Rivoli clipped Cavalier 1-0 to end a run of six losses in seven games.Yesterday’s resultsWaterhouse 0 Harbour View 1(Rosario Harriott 49th)Mo Bay United 1 Boys Town 0(Owayne Gordon 61st)Rivoli 1 Cavalier 0(Cory Burke 31st)Tivoli Gardens 0 Reno 1(Denmark Gillings 22nd)Portmore 3 UWI 0(Jovan East 30th, 46th)
Fans could be in for a mouth-watering Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) clash this evening when the champions of the past two seasons meet at the Anthony Spaulding Sports Complex and, fittingly, under lights this evening.In 2015, coach Jerome Waite satisfied the thirst for championship from the Arnett Gardens faithful when he led the club to a convincing win over then defending champions Montego Bay United. Last year, Montego Bay United avenged that defeat by putting Arnett Gardens out of the competition in the semi-final round. This year, both teams come head-to-head in the quarter-final off a restructured competition, and only one can advance.”We are prepared for a tough game against them. They defeated us one year in the final, and we avenged that last year by knocking them out in the semi-final. So this is a big game for both of us. It is like a grudge match,” Orville Powell, president of Montego Bay United, said ahead of today’s game.Powell, whose team had an indifferent run following its participation in the Caribbean Football Union Champions League, where they played a number of matches in quick succession, conceded that there were some injury worries but posited that they would be up to the task.”We have had enough time to recover for this game, which has not been the case recently. We have some niggling injuries, but we should be okay. The team is not 100 per cent, but we should be good enough to get the job done.TRAINING FOR GAME”The team has been training in preparation for this game. The final training was this morning, and we are pretty positive. We intend to play our normal game and intend to get a positive result and return to Montego Bay for the second leg, where we will take care of business,” Powell said.Arnett Gardens’ Waite was just as positive, if not more so than Powell.”We want to settle it from early to make sure we are in command, and we are targeting two or three goals,” said Waite, who rested a number of his key players in their last two regular-season games.Added Waite: “We are ready and looking forward to the game. Vishinul Harris is up and going, Oneil Thompson is fit and ready, Ranike Anderson is raring to go.”The vibes are good all round. Everyone is looking forward to the game. The only issue is that it is only 11 players who can start and three substitutes, so that is our only challenge, and even if we have injuries, we have adequate replacements,” the confident Waite explained.Besides the names mentioned above, Waite will be looking to the likes of Newton Sterling. Kemal Malcolm, and the veteran Leon Strickland.Whenever Dino Williams is at his best, Montego Bay United is unstoppable especially when Owayne Gordon and Allan Ottey offer support. Add to that group the hungry Donovan Carey and Jermain Woozencroft, and Montego Bay United will be a big threat.
The induction ceremony of officers of the Liberia Tennis Federation is set on 18 October at 2p.m in the conference room of the Ministry of Youths and Sports.A press release signed by LTF secretary general J. F. Dexter Puiyoe said officers to be inducted along with him are President Adolphus Wade, vice president John Wolo, treasurer Emmanuel Bono, and chaplain Henry K. Brown.LTF’s elections were held last August 30th. The release meanwhile urged all team officials and others to attend and on time.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
– gunmen said to be foreignersA Brazilian national working in a Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni) mining camp was brutally slaughtered by cross-border bandits armed with rifles and handguns, in a brazen attack in the early hours of Wednesday morning. The robbery saw the gunmen carting off a quantity of raw gold. Dead is 36-year-old dredge owner Antonio Da Silva, whose body was found at a mining camp in Akaiwanna, Cuyuni,A crime scene — Image by © Image Source/CorbisRegion Seven with several wounds suspected to be gunshots.According to preliminary reports, the brazen incident lasted for some eight hours – from 17:45h Tuesday afternoon and ended 02:00h Wednesday morning. It is reported that a gang of about six to eight armed men attacked the mining camp, bound the deceased along with several of his workers and ransacked the camp.It is believed that after rumbling through the camp, the bandits escorted Da Silva to his worksite and swiftly removed an undisclosed amount of raw gold. Reports are that the bandits then took Da Silva about 500 metres from the site and shot him several times before making good their escape.This newspaper learnt that upon hearing the rapid gunfire, one of the persons in Da Silva’s camp was able to flee and ended up at another mining camp. It was there that the worker relayed information as to what transpired.“The first info we received was that the camp was invaded and gunshots were fired and that’s where one of the persons escaped and was able to make a call from a nearby camp and this information was relayed to Police,” Guyana Times was told.A source close to the investigation explained that it was two hours after the first contact was made with Police that Da Silva was killed by the bandits (foreigners). This publication was told that several Police ranks were dispatched to Akaiwanna early Wednesday morning to investigate the man’s murder. His body is presently at the Memorial Gardens Crematorium, awaiting a post-mortem examination.Some reports suggest the attackers could have been Brazilian but information disclosed to Guyana Times related that the gunmen are more likely Venezuelan as the camp is reportedly one hour away from the border with the Bolivarian Republic. When contacted, Acting Crime Chief Paul Williams responded to these reports, saying that while the attackers were said to be “external”, investigations are ongoing. This could soon determine their nationalities.This latest attack comes just two months after three miners – Vernon Eudoxie, 55; Cologne Solomon, 23; and Samuel Moses, 19, of Port Kaituma – were all killed when their camp at Imataka on the Venezuelan side of the border was raided by four gunmen who had opened fire after demanding that the miners turn over their valuables. Other miners were also injured in that attack. Before that Imataka slaughter, there were incidents at two gold mining camps in Region Seven which were raided and the occupants were severely beaten by gunmen who robbed the respective miners of their gold and valuables.
President David Granger on Wednesday pardoned three female prisoners, thus allowing them to be home for Christmas.The three women were pardoned pursuant to presidential powers under Article 188(2) of the Constitution of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana. The trio – Joanna Beckles, 26; Felicia Henry, 22 and Keysha Gibbs, 17 – who were all at the New Amsterdam Prison for various offences will be released today. The women have all served a portion of their respective sentences for larceny and forgery.In 2015, 60 convicts were granted presidential pardons on Guyana’s 49th Independence anniversary by the President.The release of prisoners in 2015 caused much controversy after Government had refused to release the names and offences of those pardoned.The President had indicated intentions to release another 60 young men and women in 2016, but this did not materialise.In 2017, nine women prisoners were pardoned for Guyana’s 47th Republic Anniversary.The prisoners, who were all inmates at the New Amsterdam penitentiary, were Kamla Bisram, 30; Malinda Beaton, 31; Charissazan Charles, 18; Sasha Christopher, 18; Jenny Davis, 26; Vanessa Frank, 26; Barbra Hunte, 51; Kamwattie Persaud, 23 and Dhanmattie Seenarine, 47.
1 Maxi Pereira has been linked with a move to Liverpool In the absence of Luis Suarez, the spotlight has been firmly on Liverpool’s lacklustre attack line this season, but their defence hasn’t been up to scratch either.Kop boss Brendan Rodgers made it his mission during the summer to bolster his backline, bringing in three new faces at an estimated cost of around £35m.The same problems persist however, and if Liverpool are to gatecrash the top four this season, then Rodgers will have to readdress that issue fast.According to the latest reports, the Northern Irishman is going to start by making a move for Benfica full-back Maxi Pereira. With more on the Uruguayan, here’s talkSPORT’s Transfer Spotlight.Name: Maximiliano PereiraDate of birth: 08/06/84Born: Montevideo, UruguayClub: BenficaPosition: Full-backInternational: Uruguay – 98 caps/three goalsWhat’s the latest?Given Spanish youngster Javier Manquillo is only at Liverpool on loan and veteran defender Glen Johnson is widely expected to depart the club at the end of the season, Brendan Rodgers would be forgiven for looking to splash more cash on bringing in a more permanent full-back. Maxi Pereira may be turning 31 at the end of the current campaign, but his experience as a two-time title winner could prove invaluable.Pereira’s contract expires at the end of the season, but it is thought that Benfica would be willing to part with him during the January window.The nitty gritty:1) Pereira made his debut as an 18-year-old for Montevideo-based Defensor Sporting in 2002 and over five years he played 95 league games, scoring 20 goals.2) While most comfortable as a full-back, Pereira is very versatile and during his time at Defensor it was not uncommon to see the Uruguayan playing in a more advanced position.3) Upon joining Benfica, he was more consistently used as a full-back, where he remains today, although the Portuguese giants have taken great advantage of his attacking talents. Pereira is often seen charging down the flank, providing crosses and generally causing havoc in the opposition 18-yard box. As such, he notched up five assists last season for Benfica.4) On criticism of Pereira though is his temper. Over the past three-and-a-half seasons (including the current campaign) he has been booked 47 times for Benfica and dismissed twice and as viewers of the 2014 World Cup may remember, he received the first red card of the tournament.5) Despite his tendency to occasionally lose his head, Pereira boasts a great deal of experience. A veteran of two World Cups, he has won 98 caps for Uruguay and played a pivotal role in La Celeste winning the 2011 Copa America – Uruguay’s 15 victory in the tournament. He has also won two Portuguese league titles.Video evidence: Liverpool fans, is Maxi Pereira the man to solve your defensive woes? Comment below…
🎥 Matt Ritchie puts #NUFC in front against @bfcdublinhttps://t.co/OG7YtkWMew— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) July 16, 2016 1 Newcastle are preparing for life back in the Championship, and have hit the transfer market hard in their search for immediate promotion back to the Premier League.Matz Sels, Dwight Gayle, Jesus Gamez and Isaac Hayden have all been brought to St James’ Park by Rafa Benitez, but most impressive has been the signing of Matt Ritchie from top flight side Bournemouth.A key player at Dean Court, Ritchie decided to drop down to the second tier after a strong, if inconsistent, debut season in the Premier League.There are doubts as to whether he has the quality for the first division, but there are no fears as to his ability in the Championship.In the Cherries’ promotion season of 2014/15, the 26-year-old winger scored 15 goals and registered 17 assists in 46 games, and he is sure to rival those numbers with the Magpies this term.And Ritchie is already showing off his talents to his new fans, scoring a lovely debut goal in Newcastle’s friendly win over Bohemians.You can watch the classy finish below, courtesy of the Magpies’ official Twitter account… Matt Ritchie scored against Bohemians of Ireland
Clg Baile Na nGallogach v Naomh UltanAll roads led to Moyle Park on Sunday as Milford started their championship campaign with a home first leg tie against Naomh Ultan. Manager Nigel Black would have been delighted as he had a full panel to choose from.Milford started off best with an early goal from Luke Barret. This was followed by 2 points from Christopher Barret before Naomh Ultan managed a score 15 minutes in. Milford then scored 2 more points and after good work from David Curly down the left hand side he squared the ball with a N.Ultan defender unfortunate to direct it into his own net.Milford were well on top of the game at this stage and registered a further 2 points while on the stroke of half time the ball was in the back of the net again after a fine finish from Cathal Mc Gettigan.Milford went in at the break leading 3-6 to 0-3 and two early points at the start of the second half from Pauric and David Curley increased the Moyle men’s lead to 14 points. With the game over as a contest it was no surprise that some players became complacent which lead to a sloppy second half. Naomh Ultan scored 5 more points in the second half as the Milford manager began to utilise his bench. Milford scored 2 more points and the game ended 3-10 to 0-8. Milford will be happy with the result in a physical encounter at Moyle view however they will left sweating over the fitness of Full Back Barry McNulty who was stretchered off in the first half.Milford: Caolan Mc Gettigan, Conor Mc Nulty, Barry Mc Nulty, Cormac Friel, Enda Mc Hugh, Anthony Mc Paul, Manus Boyce, Lorcan Friel, Luke Barret (1-2), Pauric Curley (0-1), Christopher Barret (0-3), James Doyle(0-1), David Curley (0-1), Cathal Mc Gettigan (1-1), Paddy Peoples. Subs: Shaun Gallagher, Tony Mc Gettigan, PJ Hagan(0-1), Anthony Fisher, Kevin Mc Gee, Christy Mc Cafferty GAA NEWS: MILFORD 3-10, NAOMH ULTAN 0-08 was last modified: July 8th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA NEWS: MILFORD 3-10NAOMH ULTAN 0-08
A 24 year old man has been sent forward for trial charged with dangerous driving causing death.Eunan McBrearty appeared at Letterkenny District Court this morning.The charge relates to an incident on the N14 at Murlog, Lifford just 100 yards from the family home of soccer star Shay Given on May 6th last year. One man in his 20s, Bobby Rodgers from Newtowncunningham, was killed in the incident and another two people were injured.Garda Sgt Martin Rochford told the court that he served a book of evidence on McBrearty of 58 Woodthorpe, Newtowncunningham today.Solicitor for McBrearty, Mr Patsy Gallagher, applied to have a second counsel for the upcoming case because of what he described as the “most serious nature of the case.”McBrearty, wearing a white t-shirt and jeans, appeared in court to answer the charges.Judge Paul Kelly put the case in for the next sitting of Letterkenny Circuit Court in October.YOUNG MAN CHARGED WITH DANGEROUS DRIVING CAUSING DEATH was last modified: July 17th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bobby rodgersdangerous driving causing deathEunan McBreartyNewtowncunningham
The Coyotes women’s soccer team took a 1-0 lead on a goal by Ashley Licata, assisted by Casey Clark, but Coyotes couldn’t hold on as the Warriors (11-3-1, 7-2-0) surged ahead with a goal by Domanique Roberts and the eventual game-winner by Marti Teunissen in a 2-1 game. The Coyotes (5-8-0, 3-7-0) couldn’t draw even despite playing with a man advantage for the last seven minutes after a Warrior player was red-carded. CAL STATE SAN BERNARDINO MEN’S SOCCER The Coyotes (6-7-1, 5-5-0) gave up three unanswered goals after taking a 1-0 lead in falling to Cal State Stanislaus in falling 3-1. The lone goal for the Coyotes was chipped in by Oscar Garcia. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week The Warriors tied it on a goal by Kishin Hamaguchi, then went ahead on a penalty kick goal by Tony Amaral.