Andy Murray pulls out of Brisbane International ahead of Australian Open

first_imgAndy Murray pulled out from Brisbane International with a hip problem that has been troubling him since his Wimbledon quarter-final loss last July against Sam Querrey in a five-set thriller. The move raises doubts over the Brit’s participation in the 2018 Australian Open.The former World No. 1, who has since fallen to rank 16, took part in the one-set exhibition match in Abu Dhabi last week, he was unable to train on Tuesday and announced his withdrawal.WATCH VIDEOHe had tried to return to competitve Tennis at the US Open in August, before being forced to pull out just two days before the start of the tournament.He joins top-ranked Rafael Nadal, who pulled out last week in a bid to continue his recovery from injury, as notable withdrawals from the season-opening event in Brisbane. He was due to play his first tournament match of the season on Thursday with a second-round encounter against American Ryan Harrison at the Pat Rafter Arena.“I’m very disappointed. I came here with every intention of making a strong start to the year but sadly my team and I don’t feel that I’m where I need to be just yet to compete at the highest level”- @andy_murray #BrisbaneTENnis pic.twitter.com/lW6JxcyS68— #BrisbaneTennis (@BrisbaneTennis) January 2, 2018″I’m very disappointed to be withdrawing from the Brisbane International,” Murray, who was seeded second in Brisbane, told tournament organisers before going into further detail of his predicament in an emotional post on social media.advertisement”Having been recommended to treat my hip conservatively since the US Open, I have done everything asked of me from a rehab perspective and worked extremely hard to try get back on the court competing,” Murray said on his Instagram account.”Having played practice sets here in Brisbane with some top players unfortunately this hasn’t worked yet to get me to the level I would like so I have to reassess my options. Continuing rehab is one option and giving my hip more time to recover.”Surgery is also an option but the chances of a successful outcome are not as high as I would like which has made this my secondary option and my hope has been to avoid that. However, this is something I may have to consider but let’s hope not.”Murray has said that he will remain in Brisbane for the rest of the week before planning his next move.”In the short term I’m going to be staying in Australia for the next couple of days to see if my hip settles down a bit and will decide by the weekend whether to stay out here or fly home to assess what I do next,” the 30-year-old added.With Murray’s latest injury setback, along with two other members of the ‘Big Four’ Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic also struggling with injuries, Australian Open organisers have been majorly hit ahead of the year’s first major in Melbourne starting on January 15.A five-time finalist at the Australian Open, Murray had planned to use the Brisbane event as his main warmup for 2018’s first Grand Slam.(With inputs from Reuters)last_img

Leave your comment